Monday 28 November 2011

Interview with Phil Campbell

P – Phil Campbell from The Lace Market House

L – Lotty Barahona from Team Aspire

P – Is that really your question sheet? That’s awesome

L – We are professionals

P – Okay, go for it!

L – Hi, could you tell us your name please?

P – My name is Phil Campbell

L – And what do you do? What’s your job?

P – I am a um social media, digital landscape spirit guide, I help people navigate technology,

L – Okay and can I ask you if you’ve heard of the quantified self?

P – No never

L – Not at all, do you know if you’ve used any forms of self tracking?

P – No I don’t think I have

L – Okay, do you use apps a lot?

P – I use a hell of a lot of apps

L – Which are your favourite? And could you tell me why?

P - Umm.. Making up a lot of content on the ground as a media advecet for media technology companies it 
requires me to use a lot of video audio text um applications for getting content out on to the web, so I use things like Blogsie, which is a little blogging app for the Ipad, I use audio booth which is great for recording audio, I use Keek, which is Toronto based company for recording video, a whole different sort of band of actual different applications there just for different purposes.  

L – Okay, and do you use any for activity or inactivity at all?

P – I used to use one called Run-keeper

L – Ye

P – Um but I don’t seem to get out of this basement because I’m that busy

L – Okay

P – Umm.. But I used to use that to track my location how much distance I did and I actually felt that was beneficial because it was merging the exercise world and the technology world together and alerting other people in my social network that I’d done some exercise and so people were sending me messages like keep going keep going it’s awesome you’re doing great exercise. So there’s an empowerment thing there that I really liked, um I just haven’t done it in a while..

L – do you like the communication then? And being able to communicate with other people? Do you think that’s an important part of it?

P – I think there’s an important thing about technology in general that is we’ve got to get over the idea that were buying technology just because it’s cool or it’s fashionable or shiny shiny, I think everything should have a benefit to it, if you buy a piece of technology it should be more than something that you buy just for a fashion status thing, I think you should use it to get the most out of it. Um I’m very against people just buying brad new mobile phones because they look cool, I get it, I understand it, that’s how they market to us by giving us slimmer more focused, pink phones even.. Um but I think people are going to start looking at their devices in the next couple of years in the same way that in four or five years we’ll look at a watch and notice that it’s not a multi-functional device, it just tells the time and be absolutely you know gobsmacked that it only does one thing. I think umm were going to see a massive infatuation in people using multi devices.

L – Okay um what do you think about data privacy?

P – That’s a really difficult question to ask me because I’ve, I’ve known since I was seventeen that data privacy is a pretty transparent area really. I think we all like the idea of privacy, we all like the idea that you know that everything about us is securely locked away and that nobody can get into it, but the problem is inscription and the way that things are stored away can be broken and are often broken or things are lost. I think it’s an on-going thing umm.. I think the fact that we’ve took the internet used it as a 5th emergency service, you know we expect the internet to always be there now, because we’ve never had that before I think we’re going to see a lot of problems with security, but I think ultimately umm human nation likes to sort of, they like that idea of trying to fix it

L – Okay

P – So I think security is going to be a big issue in the years to come but I also think that if its helping, if we 
have different devices and applications that help our health I think a lot more money will get pushed in that direction. Umm because every company wants workers that are going to be at work every day instead of putting little sick notes in, so yeah..

L – Umm can I ask you, I know you’ve heard about the Jawbone but why particularly do you like that product?

P – I like the companies ethos and the way that they’ve designed there products,  and I think umm from a sort of social media stamp point where I’m very community focused umm I like companies that focus a lot of their energy, effort and money on umm getting there view across what their product does. Umm Jawbone are very good at that, they’ve obviously looked at that and realised that there potential for their future projects and products not just the one they’ve got is based on customer feedback and I think a lot of customers um a lot of companies see products on the market go and buy some imperior product from China, import bits from China and don’t actually do the job and you know they go bust in a couple of years. Jawbone have um come along with very solid foundations and they had a very clear output as to what they wanted to do which was to made really ground-breaking products and they did that with their headset, with the Jawbone microphone and everybody copied that, and recently I’ve been watching the social media campaigns and they, they really have nailed the idea of um what health is, what heath and technology is together and I think putting that extra bit of detail in will make them stand out.

L – So you would want a company to be very clear on what they stood for?

P – I think um in this day and age, one piece of media isn’t enough, I think you need multiple different kinds of media for different people at different times in their life, so you might be eighteen, you might be twenty two, you might be thirty, you might be forty, you might be fifty, you know you can’t discount that all these people from different age groups are on and using the internet because they are. Um and they all might want to use one of Jawbone’s product but if its, if there video out-putting is just funky and fashionable and were office workers it’s not going to appeal to them. So I think there is an opportunity for any company in this day and age, if you can make many different types of content then different kinds of people in different places in their lives umm I think you’ll be successful.

L – Okay

P – Is that cool?

L – Yeah, thank you very much

P – Awesome

L – Thanks so much


- Gwen 

No comments:

Post a Comment